Saturday, February 26, 2011

God's Timing is Perfect

God's timing is perfect. This is a phrase I have heard my entire life. Suffice it to say that I am not the most patient person in the world and I have this uncanny ability to jump the gun on many things. Thankfully I have grown a lot in this area...especially recently. My mother has always said to me, "Bethany, don't rob yourself of a blessing by trying to unrighteously fulfill your desires and goals." (This is also the part where I would respond with a sigh and an eye roll.) Even though I thought my mom didn't have a clue about how I felt or what she was talking about I can say with full assurance that she knew exactly how I felt and what she was talking about.

I was drifting off to sleep last night and I was thinking about this particular concept of timing and if things didn't happen the way they have I would be a lot worse off. For example, for the last six months I've been getting to know someone what lives a thousand miles a way and let me just say that long distance is hard. He had made at least three attempts to come visit and each one of them didn't work out. I'm sure you could imagine how frustrated we both were, yet everyone in my life kept saying over and over again, "Just be patient. God's timing is perfect." (Which of course I replied with a sigh and an eye roll.) With much waiting, he finally came! Not to mention we had a pretty fantastic week! He's gone now, and I'm waiting once again. I've been waiting for what seems like an eternity, and it's only been like two weeks. The best part is that he will be coming back in a week and half, and will hopefully stay a bit longer. Anyway, I was thinking about what if he had come to visit in November when he wanted to come the first time? It would have been pure torture for me to wait that long for him to move here! Again, I'm not the most patient person in the world. I am so thankful that God is who he is and he's got my life under control even when I feel like I'm going to go crazy.

Now, I'm not saying that I won't ever get impatient again, but I think I really do have a slightly better perspective on waiting. I think waiting is something God uses to help me die to my flesh. A good friend of my family always says, "It takes two to crucify you. You can get your feet and one arm by yourself, but it takes another person drive the last nail into the other hand." This statement is so true. God puts people and situations in our life to cause us to die to self and in turn grow abundantly. I'm praying for growth!

No comments:

Post a Comment